I decided to write this post for a
couple of reasons, first of all, I still struggle with this disease daily and I
could for the rest of my life, which is a frustrating and scary prospect, I’m
hoping that writing everything down with be therapeutic in a way. Second is
that while everyone who knows me well has heard some of this before, most
people don’t understand exactly what happened to get to this point, and exactly
what LPR is.
I’m going to go back even further
than when this all started getting serious. I have had acid reflux since I was
a baby. I have heard from my parents that it was hard for me to keep food down,
likely because of the reflux and the fact that I am also lactose intolerant. I
was always warned by my doctors to be careful and to pay attention to the
feeling of heartburn and that if it got any worse I may need to go on
medication for it. For most of my life it was an annoyance, but it wasn’t
severe. As I got older and started eating different types of food it got worse,
but again it didn’t seem to be enough to warrant anything more than taking some
Tums when it flared up.
When I was diagnosed with an
anxiety disorder (a totally different story that I may write about later) I was
prescribed medicine to help with the anxiety. I had been taking those for a few
months when my reflux got a lot worse. I saw my PCP and she prescribed me a
reflux medication (I’ve been on so many medications since then that I’m not
sure, but I believe it was the generic of Prilosec). And for awhile it seemed
to be enough. I took this medicine daily for about two years before anything
progressed any further. Around this time I also stopped taking my anxiety meds,
as they weren’t helping me at all and it seemed they were making the reflux
worse. All of this happened between August 2007 and August 2008.
New Years Eve 2008 is when I
noticed all the other symptoms starting. Earlier in the month I had had a cold
that it felt like I was still getting over. Everything but the stuffy nose had
gone away, but that persisted. My nose was so dry because of everything that I
had my first bloody nose that night. From then on I had a chronic stuffy nose
every day for over six years. When I get sick it gets worse, but it’s always
there.
After a few months of the stuffy
nose never going away I talked to my PCP who said it was probably just
allergies and told me to take an allergy pill every day even if I didn’t feel
like I needed one. It didn’t help. I went back a few months later and told her
it wasn’t helping and that nothing had changed. She prescribed me a nasal
spray, it didn’t work. She reminded me that we live in a place with awful air
pollution and that it could be the cause of it. Still, she prescribed me
another nasal spray. It still didn’t do anything. She told me to keep it up and
eventually it would.
I went home that day incredibly
frustrated because nothing was helping and I knew it had to be something more
than allergies when nothing for allergies was helping.
Skip forward another year or so and
now came the time when my Asthma went from a bit of a pain, to taking my rescue
inhaler at least twice a day. It was ridiculous, even as a child I had never
used the medicine that often but I constantly needed it. So I went back to my
PCP, she got me started on an asthma medicine that was meant to help get asthma
back under control. I took large doses every day for three months and went back
to her. She cut the dosage but kept me on the same medicine. There was a lot of
trial and error in the year and a half (yes, a year and a half) it took to get
everything back under control. I tried so many meds I don’t remember them all. As
time went on this got more under control but I was still on a fairly large dose
to keep it that way. Also, keep in mind that this is already about mid 2010,
two and a half years after the chronic stuffy nose started.
I went back to my PCP every six
months and if my breathing test looked good, sometimes she would cut the dosage
again.
Skip forward again to around May-June 2011, by this time I was STILL taking the reflux meds, had tried at least half a dozen each of asthma meds and nasal sprays and while the asthma was under control I was still on a larger dose than my doctor wanted. I was still taking allergy medicine like it was candy, with no results and I had completely given up on the nasal sprays. By this time a new symptom had started, though I didn’t know at the time what it was. 2011 started the phase of constant colds. My family will probably remember well that for weeks at a time, with hardly any breaks in between I would tell them not to get too close, that I couldn’t kiss their kids, or not to share anything with me because I would get them sick. I took cold meds way more often than can be healthy because I was CONSTANTLY sick. On top of that, the sore throat feeling had started to turn into a sharper pain in the center of my throat. I still got sore throats, particularly if I did a lot of talking, but the pain had changed.
Skip forward again to around May-June 2011, by this time I was STILL taking the reflux meds, had tried at least half a dozen each of asthma meds and nasal sprays and while the asthma was under control I was still on a larger dose than my doctor wanted. I was still taking allergy medicine like it was candy, with no results and I had completely given up on the nasal sprays. By this time a new symptom had started, though I didn’t know at the time what it was. 2011 started the phase of constant colds. My family will probably remember well that for weeks at a time, with hardly any breaks in between I would tell them not to get too close, that I couldn’t kiss their kids, or not to share anything with me because I would get them sick. I took cold meds way more often than can be healthy because I was CONSTANTLY sick. On top of that, the sore throat feeling had started to turn into a sharper pain in the center of my throat. I still got sore throats, particularly if I did a lot of talking, but the pain had changed.
I went to my PCP again and she said
that it was most likely because of my job (I’m a teller, I have a lot of
contact with people and I work inside a hospital) we both kind of shrugged it
off as an annoyance I had to live with. I started taking Echinacea and Vitamin
C every day to try and stave off those colds. I lived like this, constant sore
throat, sharp pain and a stuffy nose for nearly another year and a half with no
end in sight. The longer it went on, the worse it got. I would wake up feeling
fine and go home from work feeling like I had screamed bloody murder all day. I
was coughing all the time, trying to clear my throat, it felt like it was never
clear, I would get lumps in my throat the more it hurt and everyone said it was
my imagining it (I am kind of a hypochondriac so this wasn’t too far-fetched
for someone to suggest.)
Every time I went to my doctor,
which I still did at least every six months for my Asthma, I asked her about
it. She never had anything new to say or to suggest, it just was what it was. I
was incredibly frustrated. I mean, she could have at the very least run a
freaking blood test to make sure everything with my white blood cells was okay
and it wasn’t a sign of something serious. She could have done SOMETHING! There
had to be some sort of tests right? And if she couldn’t perform them herself,
certainly I could go to an ENT for it. Right?
I spent until November of 2012
fighting to try and get SOMEONE to help me figure out what was wrong. After
all, normal people don’t have colds all the time do they? Normal people don’t
go home from work wanting to rip out the own esophagus because it hurts so
much.
I remember clearly that September
was my first trip out of the country, and when I packed my medications in my
carry on I thought for sure I would be stopped by customs, that they would
think I was smuggling in drugs. That’s how many medications I carried with me a
day, that’s how many I had to take. Sure some of them were herbs and vitamins I
took in a vain attempt on my part to do something about the problems, but
still, I looked like a druggie.
When I got to Paris I couldn’t believe that even with the
smoke everywhere, my sinuses seemed to clear a little. I thought, hey maybe my
doctor was right and it was just the air pollution. But the longer I was there
the more it settled back down to normal, I was disappointed to say the least.
And when I got home and realized I had been doing this for four years with
nothing new, no diagnosis, no tests, nothing, I was done. I skipped my PCP and
went straight to an ENT.
In November 2012 I went to an ENT,
told them my symptoms and was immediately given the diagnosis of Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) also
known as Silent Reflux. Now I didn’t understand at first exactly what it was,
the ENT’s assistant who “explained” it, didn’t do very well, so until three
months later when I went back again I only had a vague idea. Here is most of
the relevant information taken directly from WebMD:
Laryngopharyngeal
reflux (LPR) is similar to another condition -- GERD
-- that results from the contents of the stomach
backing up (reflux). But the symptoms of LPR are often different than those
that are typical of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
With LPR, you may
not have the classic symptoms of GERD, such as a burning sensation in your
lower chest (heartburn). That's why it can be difficult to diagnose and why it
is sometimes called silent reflux.
Causes of LPR
At either end of
your esophagus
is a ring of muscle (sphincter). Normally, these sphincters keep the contents
of your stomach where they belong -- in your stomach. But with LPR, the
sphincters don't work right. Stomach acid backs up into the back of your throat
(pharynx) or voice box (larynx), or even into the back of your nasal airway. It
can cause inflammation in areas that are not protected against gastric acid
exposure.
Silent reflux is
common in infants because their sphincters are undeveloped, they have a shorter
esophagus, and they lie down much of the time. The
cause in adults is not known.
With LPR, adults
may have heartburn or a bitter taste or burning sensation in the back of the
throat. But they are less likely to have such classic signs of GERD. More
often, symptoms in adults are vague and may be easily confused with other
problems. The most common symptoms include:
- Excessive throat clearing
- Persistent cough
- Hoarseness
- A "lump" in the throat that doesn't go away with repeated swallowing
- A sensation of postnasal drip or excess throat mucus
- Trouble swallowing
- Trouble breathing
- Sore throat
Complications of LPR
Stomach acid that
pools in the throat and larynx can cause long-term irritation and damage.
Without treatment, it can be serious.
In
adults, silent reflux can scar the throat and voice box.
It can also increase risk for cancer in the area,
affect the lungs, and may irritate conditions such as asthma,
emphysema, or bronchitis.
Treatment of LPR
Silent reflux treatment for adults may include these lifestyle modifications:- Lose weight, if needed.
- Quit smoking, if you are a smoker.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Restrict chocolate, mints, fats, citrus fruits, carbonated beverages, spicy or tomato-based products, red wine, and caffeine.
- Stop eating at least three hours before going to bed.
- Elevate the head of the bed about 4 to 6 inches.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting clothes around the waist.
- Try chewing gum to increase saliva and neutralize acid.
- Proton pump inhibitors such as rabeprazole (Aciphex), dexlansoprazole (Dexilant, Kapidex), esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid), omeprazole (Prilosec), or omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate (Zegerid) to reduce gastric acid.
- H2 blockers such as nizatidine (Axid), famotidine (Pepcid), cimetidine (Tagamet), or ranitidine (Zantac) to reduce gastric acid.
Some people respond
well to self-care and medical management. However, others need more aggressive
and lengthy treatment. If this is not effective or if symptoms recur, your
doctor may suggest surgery.
It’s all
very clinical, but you get the gist. Let me draw your attention to some of the
highlighted red areas.
- The cause in adults is not known. This is frustrating and scary because it means there’s less information to go on, therefore it’s harder to treat.
- Excessive throat clearing
- Persistent cough
- Hoarseness
- A "lump" in the throat that doesn't go away with repeated swallowing
- A sensation of postnasal drip or excess throat mucus
- Trouble swallowing
- Trouble breathing
- Sore throat
We’ve already established, if you remember that I had EVERY
SINGLE symptom on this list. Which also means that those colds I had all the
time? Yeah, they weren’t actually colds. The symptoms combined mimic that of a
cold and I had been taking all that medicine for nothing.
So moving on again, I started
treatment which means I go into their office every six months for a scope (LES)
which looks at my vocal chords and surrounding tissue to see how things are
going. It also means I started a bunch of medicines, Two separate reflux
medications (total of three pills a day just for these), nasal spray and
Mucinex, the largest dose allowed twice a day. I also went off of everything
suggested above, which is a drastic change, and I even had to add blood
thinners into the mix of things I can’t have because I had two blood vessels clearly
visible on my vocal chords that they were afraid were going to rupture, which
would create a polyp.
I started voice therapy, which is
basically 45 minute sessions of things that make you feel like an idiot. Weird
sounds and words mashed together to make your voice do specific things, I do on
average, 15 vocal exercises a day. Sometimes more when I remember them all, and
some of them I do multiple times a day. I have massages I have to do to relax
the area and I’ve recently started vocal warm ups for singing, also
specifically designed to help while simultaneously making you feel incredibly
stupid. It helps, but slowly. The whole idea is that for the four years before
I was diagnosed (at least) I have been talking and singing with awful habits,
and they need to correct them. These bad habits can create nodules on your
vocal chords if not fixed.
Yes, yes, I know. Nodules, pitch
perfect, hilarious. Not. Nodules are calluses on the vocal chords, usually one
on each side facing each other and the eventually diminish over time, but for
me getting a nodule (which again, I easily could) means absolutely no singing
for at least a year. No singing at all. And I’ve tried that before, it’s
impossible. There is also the possibility that cysts will form. If cysts form
on the vocal chords they have to be removed by surgery, and surgery on such a
sensitive area of your body is terrifying to say the least. There is also the
possibility of surgery to help keep the muscles closed and keep the acid where
it belongs. This hasn’t been recommended to me yet and I hope it won’t be. It
scares me just as much as the other one.
So getting past the clinical side
of things I want to talk about how it makes me feel. I’m such a girl, I know.
When I was first diagnosed I was annoyed. Here was this seemingly simple thing
that had been bugging me for four years! But I was wrong. Within months of
being diagnosed everything got astronomically worse. The sore throat was
consistent, no relief, the stabbing pain I talked about? It became so severe
that the way I used to describe it was “the feeling of someone punching me in
the throat, stabbing my vocal chords and taking them to a cheese grater all at
the same time.” It hurt so much and so often that I had taken to doing entire
days of vocal rest to try and help and it barely did. As soon as I started
talking again I would be back where I started. I spent so many hours writing in
a notebook or texting my sister who was right next to me just to communicate. I
cut out all singing from my life, I didn’t even sing happy birthday to my
nieces at their parties.
Slowly the talking got a bit
better. I could go home feeling like I had a cold but unless I really overused
my voice I didn’t always have the stabbing pains anymore, and that was a
blessing. They still come, and frequently, but I also know how to better avoid
them. I also still have the drainage in my throat and the constant stuffy nose.
Nothing has helped those, and if nothing does soon I will start injections for
allergies to try and target my specific allergens, and I will also get a head
CT to see if there is anything else going on they don’t know about.
At the risk of sounding
melodramatic, the best way to describe how I felt, how I still feel almost all
of the time, is that I hate my life. I have had problem after problem
medically, and this was kind of the straw the broke the camels back.
Now I know what you’re thinking, it
sounds bothersome, but not very serious, right? Wrong. First of all, remember
those highlighted words up there? Well there’s one section that talks about
cancer. The thing people don’t realize most about this is that if it isn’t kept
under control, the chance of getting esophageal cancer rises with every pass of
acid across the delicate skin. It erodes the area and can create a disgusting,
terrifying layer of cancerous cells, that if not caught can spread further into
the tissue. Esophageal cancer is no more or less scary than most of the other
types, and I’ll tell you why. There are cases where the cancer starts in your
throat…and because we all know cancer is so fun and likes to kill everything in
it’s path, it can reach down to other important areas in your body. It can
spread like anything other type of cancer; it doesn’t just stay in your throat.
I’m scared all the time that this
will happen. Every time I cough too hard and feel acid burn my throat. Every
time I eat something I shouldn’t (Come on, don’t make that face. Living with
this diet for over two years is hard.), every time I miss a dose of medicine.
It’s endless. Not only is there this awfully scary prospect, but there’s also
the fact that I had completely lost my singing voice. Recently I’ve started to
get some ability back but I’m still so far away that I often wonder if I’ll
ever get it back completely. And despite how small this seems it was my most secret
dream to become a professional singer, preferably in the theater. For now, and
possibly forever, that dream is gone.
I try not to lose hope, because I
am improving, albeit slowly, but it’s hard. I might be able to sing a song once
through, but then my throat hurts so much I have to stop singing altogether.
It’s a constant battle, it affects
every area of my life and while it may not be fatal unless you stray towards
the esophageal cancer, it has forever changed my life. I will live with this
forever.
And now that I’m almost done with
my giant post I just want to thank anyone who has read this. I hope you
understand a bit more why this affects me so much, and I hope you’ll forgive me
for my bouts of depression on the days it hits me harder than other.
To conclude I want to say that I
went to the ENT recently and while nothing has improved, nothing has gotten any
worse either. I have a little hope now, and however small that may be I try to
hold onto it. Hopefully one day my voice will be strong enough to perform on
stage again. Until then I have been fortunate enough to find something that
makes me happy and I am eternally grateful. My family is amazing, they’re all
such a huge support to me and every one of them has helped me through this, so
thank you for everything! I also have to say a quick thanks to my sister
Heather for putting up with me, I know if I was living still with other family
members they would have done exactly what she has, but she’s the lucky one
who’s had to deal with %90 of my breakdowns alone, so thank you Heather! I love
you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment